Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Why is there always enough time to to do it over, but never enough time to do it right?"

Someone at my work has a bumper sticker with that saying stuck to his work station.  It's true, though!  I finished my Pomatomus socks last night while playing Dungeons and Dragons:

IMG_2346

When I tried them on, I said "Hmm.  They don't feel right."  And they don't! I couldn't place it.  Everyone looked at me rather weirdly - I play with Dan and 3 other dudes, all of whom usually drink while they play, and none of whom have ever knit.  But as I sat in my chair wearing my socks, I thought about how they didn't feel right.  My other pair - lost to time or left at my mom's house, I can't remember which - fit really well.  Perfectly.  But these felt odd somehow.

As we battled a pack of ghouls summoned by an evil pirate whose treasure we had stolen, I realized what it was.  It was just one sock, the one that I had finished before.  We had a pie break, and I took a while to look at them.

IMG_2348

Can you see it? My most recent sock's foot was half a pattern repeat longer than the last one!

I had already woven in the end of my other sock, so I took the scissors and closed my eyes and cut the tip of the toe off, and unraveled it.

IMG_2349

Now my FO is an unF'dO.  But, I'd rather take the time to fix the mistake than walk around with one sock just a little too tight!

IMG_2350

(Also - you can picture the look of horror on everyone's faces when I started cutting the sock up.  "Haven't you been working on that since spring!?" They couldn't fathom why I'd cut up and tear apart something I had been working on every week for such a long time.)

5 comments:

  1. OH but now you can wear them for EVAH!!! and happily so

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD YOU ARE SO BRAVE!

    I don't even like to break the yarn when I bind off. Many a time I have considered just pulling what's left of the ball through the last loop and trying to weave the majority of it in, because I have severe anxiety over broken yarn, even after about nineteen years of playing with it. I also get a little short of breath when I think about unwinding a hank and winding it back into a cake. I might need yarn therapy, and not the kind where I go out and spend all my money on it, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But we knitters understand completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are very brave- I probably would have just cried to my mum! lol :P But fixing the mistake is better than it bugging you for ever! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I frogged my vest yesterday. Saved all the yarn....
    it was just wrong in too many places. ripped it

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...