Sunday, August 18, 2013

Where My Disorganization Bites Me

The last round of Design Along that I participated in, I ACTUALLY designed something - a set of fingerless gloves.

IMG_2062

I thought up the design, drew a sketch, was convinced that this was "the one"- the design that would be my best accomplishment yet, etc. etc.  I feel this way about a lot of the things I knit.

I finished the first glove, with all my little notes in my little notebook, when I went to the Twin Cities for work.

Then I lost the notebook.  I'm pretty sure it fell out of my bag at some airport.  Or in some plane.  Point is, I lost it and I put the single glove on a table and said "When I have time, I'll reverse engineer it and write out the pattern and then make another pair in a contrasting color that's longer. It'll still be the best pattern yet."

There are a few flaws with that logic. First, I don't have time.  Not like I had before, when I was in school at least.  Second, the gloves are made with expensive, expensive yarn I got on sale ages ago and then lost the band to - Luxe Lace? Anyway, there was no way I was going to afford another skein of that stuff.

So, today while I was cleaning up my desk, I found that one glove, and I decided to put it to rest.  I would write up my notes, but I know that I will get a ton of angry emails like "What does this mean!?" Basically, I knit part sideways, and made the ruffley bits. Then I worked the cuffs out from the sides, and added a thumb gusset.

IMG_2064

The gusset what I'm most proud of actually.  I'm not sure how I did it, and it's a little loose... but if I had the notes I could modify it and...

No. I'm done.  It's time to put the glove in the bin and say goodbye.  I'm sorry little glove, but maybe someday you'll be resurrected.  Or maybe I'll find something nice to make out of the yarn. Who knows!

Sometimes when things don't work out, you just have to move one.

6 comments:

  1. I would be upset if I lost my notes too! I feel your pain :( Thanks for entering my contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed! Much to nice to frog. Sometimes you need just one glove....seriously. It will come in handy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gak, loosing your knitting design notebook?! That's like a kick to the solar plexus! I'm so sorry for your loss. The glove is so cute too! Treat yourself to a glorious new knitting design notebook. You deserve it after that kind of stress.

    That being said, keep the glove and when you have time, study it and try writing notes as you knit. It's too cute to give up on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, it's so pretty! If it's just one, that's just how it's meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my precious patterns are just scribbled notes in a book too :/ - I must make copies of them sometime soon!The glove was lovely though :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO true about so MANY things. Hope you find just the perfect thing to make with that pretty yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...