Tuesday, January 12, 2010

FLCL Hat

I know, I know, it's been a while since I posted a pattern up! Here it is.


FLCL Hat
I go to RIT, home of a lot of anime fans. One of my friends on floor was talking to me one day and the subject of knitted cosplay came up. What would I make? Oh man, Naota's hat from FLCL! And thus this was born. A good gift for the FLCL fan in your life, or just someone who likes their ears warm.



Supplies
Size 8 circular needles (36 inch)
1 skein Berroco Peruvia (White) (I finished mine with half of this.) Substitutions: Anything.
Yarn needle (for weaving in ends)

Gauge
4 stitches, 5 rows = 1 square inch.
Gauge is not as important as a measurement that fits. Adjust gauge to fit the head you're knitting for.

Measurements
Circumference, unstretched, 23 inches.
Earflaps: 5 inches across the top (where they join the band)

Sizing

This hat has a huge stretch factor. The size shown fits women's small - men's medium. If in doubt, knit a gauge swatch and take some measurements; simply cast on so many more or less stitches (by a factor of 4, so you don't mess up the ribbing).

NOTE: This was kind of a seat of the pants project. I it, then went back and said "Okay so... I cast on that and then... erm..." If you knit this and there is something drastically wrong, please e-mail me at lynough@gmail.com! I will update this page to include all known errors, cross my heart.

Earflaps
(Make 2)

CO 10 stitches
Row 1: K
Row 2: K1, m1, K to the last st, m1, K1.
Row 3: K
Row 4: K1, m1, K to the last st, m1, k1. You should have 13 stitches.
Row 5 (WS): K4, P to last 4 sts, K4.
Row 6 (RS): K4, m1, K to last 4 sts, m1, K4.
Repeat rows 5 and 6 until you have 20 stitches.
Work the following two rows until your work measures 3.5 inches
Row 1: (WS) K4, P to the last 4 sts, K4
Row 2: (RS) K across.
Finishing: Break yarn and transfer to a spare needle or dpn, keeping the stitches live. Or, you can break the yarn and thread the yarn through live stitches using a yarn needle, and save for later (just don't lose them!)

Band
Head: CO 26 sts, K across 1st earpiece. CO 26 more stitches, K across 2nd earpiece.
Work Knit 2, Purl 2 ribbing around for 2.5 inches
P one round
Work Purl 2, Knit 2 ribbing around for 2.5 inches
Bind off loosely.


A bit of PR: All I ask of you, if you should choose to use one of my patterns, is that you please tell me after you post it up somewhere (blog, forum, anything), and please send me a picture if you make one! I can be reached on ravelry as Alyoops or via email at lynough@gmail.com. This pattern is copyright 2009 Alyssa Lynough. Please do not re-publish market without permission from the author.

Final Note: I did not invent FLCL, Naota, or his hat. They are all copyright their respective owners, none of which is me.




12 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This is so cool! Great work, it looks just like Naota's hat. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern. So cool!! I think my great nephews will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it just me, or does the guy wearing this hat look like Grant Imahara? @_@

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would adjust the band's rib work to k4 p2 it looks more like the anime hat

    I dont think he looks like the guy from Mythbusters at all Purly in fact he reminds me of Oguri Shun (played Hanazawa Rui in Hana Yori Dango not sure which version)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purly i agree w/ u i do think it looks a lot like Grant.

    Also, I agree with ember that the band would be bettr in k4p2.

    I actually just became a fan of this anime because i saw this and was curious abt the anime. I actually suggested we watch it in Anime Club at my school. I like keeping my ears warm too so I am totally making this. XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I hope you still use this page as a friend just asked me to make this cool pattern for him. I am casting on tonight and have a quick question about the band. It says after about 2.5 inches to purl one round and then switch up the knit/purl pattern but I don't see the difference in the pictures. I am wondering if you "fold" the band at the purl line and stitch it at the end or do you keep it at the entire 5 inches and I am overthiking it. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Joycelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. wish there was a youtube video this is so hard for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a way to crochet this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could we have video illustration on how to make this. I really want one and it would seem like a good first project for my sisters who’s learning knitting

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...