I'm not sure if this is darning, but I'll share this with you anyway. Ever since I finished my colorful Kaffe Fasset socks, I've been wearing them a lot. Sadly, though, I took them out of the sock bath a few weeks ago to find a tiny hole in one of them!
I didn't know what to do, and was in the course of packing, so I put scotch tape over the hole and threw the socks in with my projects. Thankfully, the hole didn't get any bigger because when I checked it out today, it was only two stitches.
Somehow, the yarn had split and thankfully I caught the hole before it was gigantic.
So, I used my shiny new needles to catch the stitches and keep them from dropping further.
Then, I went into my old sock yarn stash and found the remnant of this project. I picked off a section that matched the section that broke, and worked my way across the row a bit to anchor the yarn. After that, I kitchnered the loose stitches together and did some more duplicate stitch to anchor the yarn on the other side.
I think that I saved my socks! I've never darned before, but the pictures that I've seen, the socks look kind of gross looking. Soon, I won't even be able to tell that I mended them!