Sunday, March 10, 2013

Minneapolis Institute of Art

IMG_1571

All I have to say is, Wow.  The twin cities has an awesome museum that has some great works, and it's free! I made a $20 donation, but I could have just walked right in.  You can see Monet, Picasso, pretty much any famous modern artist FOR FREE.  They even had some Hudson River School paintings (which I was not expecting, being in the Midwest and all.)

There were pieces of furniture that I would totally have in my home.  Like this rocking chair, from the 1920's, and this hutch.

IMG_1610IMG_1633

The only minus that I had was that a lot of the art was framed with glass.  I don't like that - I get that you don't want people to touch the painting or whatever, but there really is no reason to do it.  It's like seeing a landscape through a window.  Especially when the glass is dirty with dust! Ugh.

IMG_1599

IMG_1022

The cafe in the museum was great, pretty reasonable for museum food... $9 for a salad and cup of soup! Compared to some museums I've been in that's giving the food away.

I think I ended up taking as many photos in the gift shop as in the actual museum.  They had a lot of cute things, pretty (but expensive) dresses and a square teapot and decor that I was tempted to make myself when I got home.  There was an entire wall of stationary, which I had to practice a ridiculous amount of willpower to avoid buying from.  They also had an ocean-themed table, which I did buy from.

IMG_1657
IMG_1660

Overall, the place was definitely worth the trip! Especially on a rainy, dreary day like yesterday.

IMG_1623


2 comments:

  1. Your picture out the window is it's own art. Beautiful shot.

    I love museum stores. You can find the coolest stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The MIA is the best! I'm so glad you enjoyed your day there. And, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who needs to practice serious restraint in their gift shop.
    I just took the kids there yesterday for their family day (also free, and chock full of awesome activities), and my middle child will be doing art camp there this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...