As you might (or not, I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on the blog before) know, W is working on his thesis. I'm working as his "Fabricator" - a fancy word for how I'm helping him build his puppets. He's doing all of the shop work, and I'm making all of the outside parts.
The plan is to have felted puppets with an underlying wood and wire armature. I'm trying to make the outsides so that if W needs to change the inside armature, he can just take the knit parts off like clothes and put them on a new armature.
Designing these puppets has been similar to designing toys, but you have to take a few things into consideration. For one, the covers can limit access to he underlying armature, so if the armature breaks you would have to knit a whole new cover over a new armature (gulp!) or cut the cover. Another is that these "toys" will get a lot of play time, so seams need to be tight and neat (because they're on camera! :) )
Anyway, I haven't actually knit anything (aside from a felted swatch) but over the weekend W and I sat down, looked at our supplies and my stash and made decisions about what fabrics I'm going to use.
I tried to give him a lot of options, since we didn't have a lot of options in the main color department when we went to JoAnn Fabrics - we noticed that most big box stores that we went to didn't have a very large selection of colors for 100% wool, but JoAnn's had the best. We even found a little bow for the girl puppet!
The monsters' horns are going to be wrapped in yarn - we have 3 options for that. One is an acrylic, one is the Samba that I bought the other week at the Yarn store, and the last one (our top choice at the moment) is some handspun that I bought at Rhinebeck last year. I wrapped each option around an index card so we could compare how they looked.
The other choice we had to make was what yarn to use for the monsters' socks. We could order sock yarn, but without being able to see the color, we were hesitant - and don't get me started on the sock yarn options at the big box stores we went to (almost zero). So, we looked into my stash and I wound up the possible combinations on this card:
I kind of like the idea of wrapping yarns around cards, especially when planning colorwork. I think this could be a useful in the future - it's quick to make, and easy to see how colors blend together.