Saturday, August 13, 2011

My plans are as skewed as these socks!

IMG_2161

First off, can tell you a little more about how much I LOVE this sock pattern?  This past week, I've been up late into the night knitting.  That makes me feel very, very bizarre.  I feel like a kid, hiding under the covers with a flashlight at night, but instead of a horror novel I've got... a sock.  I've never felt this way about a pattern - waiting to see what happens next!

But I realized something as I finished the heel of the sock.  Look at this.  This is, most definitely, not an ankle sock. It's not even a half-ankle sock.  W doesn't like long socks - he won't wear these. 

So, there are two foreseeable options.

1.) I make the sock according to the instructions, and hope one day W will wear them when I'm around to make me feel happy

2.) I figure out how to modify the pattern to make the sock work.  That involves frogging back to before the heel, and probably just knitting over and over until it works.

I'm leaning towards the second option, though I'm not quite sure how I'm going to manage it...

(I just thought of something, I /could/ steal the socks, but I feel like this would be cheating.  Also, I would have to frog back to the toe so that it wouldn't be baggy. So just as much work, really.)

5 comments:

  1. OH NO! I have no advise or suggestions as they are all heartbreaking. I love the socks and can see why you are knitting late into the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, don't frog! I hate the idea of frogging something that looks perfect as is.
    There is a third option: a new boyfriend. ;)
    OK, I wasn't serious. But maybe you can give these socks to someone else and knit W a different pair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they SO big they won't fit you as is? They don't look that large in the picture.

    I love the yarn. Goes great with that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a hard pattern to modify, but what you might be able to do is simply skip the decreases right after the heel-turn and go right to the short-rows. Oh goodness! I hope you can work it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what kind of heel is that ?? cool!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...