Monday, May 30, 2011

Free Pattern - The Pinwheel Square

IMG_1539

I'm in a group on Ravelry called KAL weekly square, and I'm the designer for the second square!  Whoo hoo! After some trial and error, I made this baby! I'm pretty proud of it :)  The goal of the group is to have a finished blanket by the end of the summer by making a different square each week.  Designers can make an original square, or squares can be nominated that are already around.  Anyway, this square can also be used as a dishcloth, potholder, plant coaster, etc.  It's very fun and calming to make, and it's reversible - a must for my blanket!

It measures 10''x10'', and full instructions are after the jump.

Tools:
Needles: US 8
Yarn: Worsted Weight - I used about 1/2 a skein of Caron Simply Soft.

Tips:
To make sure you don't get an ugly ladder when switching from knit to purl stitches, pull the yarn tight when switching.  If that doesn't work, try checking out this Ravelry article for a good tutorial on preventing ladders. 

CO 4 stitches
Row 1: K2, PM, P2
Row 2: Sl 1, M1K, K1, Sl M, P1, M1P, P1
Row 3: K to marker, Sl M, P to end
Row 4: K1, M1K, K to marker, Sl M, P to last st, M1P, P.

Repeat Row 3 and 4 until you have 54 stitches - Work will measure 10 inches on either side of the triangle.

Decreasing:
Row 1: Sl 1, P to marker, Sl M, K to end.
Row 2: Sl 1, P2tog, P to marker, Sl M, K to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have 4 stitches left.  BO.

IMG_1540

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pattern. I really like this square. I make squares for 2 charity groups on Ravelry. I'll try to figure out the numbers for an 8" and a 12" square and get them back to you!!

    SassySean on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Imagine a blanket all in those squares each of a different color? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wicked! I used it with two colours instead of one, switching where the marker was and then switching sides when I started the decreasing. Turned into a lovely pillow cover for my mum ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I was just browsing for squares to make a blanket. I got some wool and I think this design is what I was looking for:)
    Do you have instructions for how to piece all squares together?
    I think is very elegant design. Thank you. Hopefully you read my message. Thank you!!!!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I was just browsing for squares to make a blanket. I got some wool and I think this design is what I was looking for:)
    Do you have instructions for how to piece all squares together?
    I think is very elegant design. Thank you. Hopefully you read my message. Thank you!!!!
    Erika

    Reply

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...