Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oh, by the way... I was in a KAL!

Um, I know I'm going to kick myself for this, because I didn't blog about it (which is strange, since it's me...) but, I was in a KAL.  It lasted the whole month of July, and I finished the mystery doll last night at an ungodly hour.

So I took pictures.

And I'm done.  The pattern was a mystery, written up by Pheony (rav link) and hosted by the Knit Toys Group (rav link) on Ravelry.  It was exciting to work with a bunch of other knitters on the same project (erm, hello, that's the definition of KAL?) and I waited excitedly for each clue to come out... but nothing in this went right. 

My arms are way too long, my head is too big, etc etc etc... I don't want to talk about it any more.  I was at the point where I told myself I would write about what I was doing, but everything I wrote about was ranty and ill-tempered, so I didn't hit post.  As I was sewing the ears on, W commented that it looked like a pig.  I wanted to cry. I don't think that there was anything wrong with the pattern, just, there are certain patterns (*cough* like the socks I made for Ashley *cough*) that I just can't make correctly.  I've come to the conclusion that a power greater than my own refuses to let me make them correctly.  Sure, I could take apart the pieces, re-knit with the end product in mind, and be happier with it, but frankly I'm too lazy! Maybe if it was a sweater or a sock.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge.  It's done, finished and there's nothing I can do about it or it's hump-back! W snapped it up (like he likes to do with stuff I make) and I thought that it would disappear at the end of this weekend, stuffed away in the attic of his mother's house or something... but I came home and he was stuffing armature wires into it.

 I'm gunna be a star?

GREAT. My boyfriend wants to animate what I consider the most shoddily knit stuffie I made this year! That's Alanis Morisette irony for you.

And, if you want to make your own sheep, leave a comment and I'll e-mail you the PDFs! They're probably still up on Google, but knowing my luck, someone will be interested in making this two years from now and they'll be gone... so, drop me a line :)

3 comments:

  1. I admire the guts it takes to do a mystery pattern. I have learned something about myself as I have started crocheting and it is that I need visual cues and I depend on being able to look at the details, but see how they fit together to make it all "work." Sometimes I cannot make the directions work as written, but I can usually make the animal if I have an idea of what I am making. It doesn't always look like a photo of the original, but it is functional.

    I even find some of the older patterns that only have the pictures at the beginning of the magazine of the book really hard to work with so I photocopy, pattern and picture and work from that.

    So, congrads for having the courage to try the mystery pattern. While I would like the community experience of working on a common project, I would never have the patience to work without the pattern and picture. I know my limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is he going to animate it, as in stop motion animation? I think that would be pretty bad ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bailey - I don't think I will ever do a mystery KAL in the future, unless I know the designer well and are really interested in their designs. I can see how it would be tough to follow along without being able to tell how it's supposed to look in the end... especially putting it together!

    @SP - He's going to do tests for an armature that he's thinking about using. I'm going to force him to put it online! :>

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! :) I really appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...